Story: Foni’s Tipples - Shiraz
Presenter: Foni Pollitt
Air Date: 11th October 2020
Foni shares her favourite food pairing for the dark and heavy flavours of Shiraz, most commonly known as Syrah.
- Syrah hails from France and was one of the first grapes that came to Australia, where its name was changed to Shiraz.
- Shiraz is well known in South Australia but in Western Australia, it has always played second fiddle to cabernet.
- It is medium to full-bodied and has lots of black and red fruit, but you also get cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and sometimes tobacco or leather.
- The best Shiraz in Western Australia can be found in the Frankland River, Geographe, Margaret River and Blackwood Valley regions.
- Shiraz goes really well with any sort of meat. At Mayfair Lane Pub and Dining Room, pair it with the 400g dry-aged ribeye steak.